Monday 29 December 2008

The end is near (with more than 1 meaning)

So... 2008 draws to a close and I will share the main points of a sermon that I heard, when I unashamedly attended City Harvest Church's sunday Expo service yesterday.

Here are the main points.

1) Don't look back at old sins that were already forgiven
2) Don't look back at old defeats that get you down
3) Don't look back at old conflicts that make you bitter
4) Don't look back at old victories thinking you have arrived

That actually sums up quite a lot of problems in our lives. As the year draws to an end, we usually look back. But why do we look back? What are we looking for?

I found myself reflecting quite a bit as the sermon progressed.

With regards to point 3, he mentioned that someone he heard once put it quite simply.

'Don't nurse, curse or rehearse. Release it to to God, and He will disperse'

which we kinda all know but find hard to do. It is quite a nice way to phrase it though.

LAB REPORT
Sermon took no longer than half an hour? At least it felt that way.

Takes me longer to get to Expo but its a shorter service.

Food choices really suck but I guess sermon trumps food anytime.

Lights were turned way down in the Expo hall so it felt like nighttime.. Kinda messed up my internal clock for a while. Good lights and effects though. Singers had awesome voices. Songs had extremely meaningful lyrics.

Pastor Kong actually dressed up like a teenager for the sermon. Which is a bit of a finishing touch, but it hints at the amount of thought poured into the thing.

No crazy words / abstract themes. Biblical truth blasted straight into life's problems. Again and again. Fast and furious. Didn't feel like my time was wasted.

SUMMARY
Good experience, will definitely visit often.

No comments: