Sunday 4 January 2009

Router zhngness

I am proud to declare that I took a bold step of faith and updated my router's firmware with a 3rd-party program. For those of us who have no idea what I just said, I have basically erased the brain of my router and replaced it with a free software. A better one, I might add.

This is like making your Fujitsu pretend to be an IBM. HAHA. (Sorry I don't like Fujitsu)

Anyhow. So after months of worrying whether my router would go into a coma, I took a step of faith and updated my router's brain with a program called DD-WRT.

It does a lot of wondrous things. Most importantly, from the usual 28mW of transmit power, you can up it to a WONDERFUL 251mW. That is an amazing jump.. Kinda guarantees you'll receive a signal almost anywhere at home. Whether your laptop can transmit to the router, however, is another problem.. haha.

However, increasing the transmit power by 2 times does not increase the intensity by 2 times. It increases the intensity by a factor of root of 2. (Basic wave theory here). If you want to double your signal, increase your power 4 times.

I wouldn't recommend transmitting at full blast though. You guys still want kids right? Your own, I mean?

.
.
.

LOL.

Anyhow, i haven't used many of the functions in there.. but if you're more technically able, then give it a shot. There are a huge number of functions inside.

My router is a trusty (and cheap) Linksys WRT54G version 2.0 router. The firmware works on many routers, even those not under Linksys. Some even allow you to overclock your router, making it do its job faster.. Reducing the time you take between click and webpage viewing.

So give it a shot.. Its not covered under warranty though.

Teching my way to infinity and beyond,
Mel

No comments: