Saturday 16 August 2008

Learning processes

After some deliberation I have decided to blog about how I learn and a bit about how I think. Perhaps this may help some of us.

When I was younger I was kinda pampered and kept in a very safe environment, and things just happened as they did.

When I got to school, however, things came as somewhat of a shock to me, and i had to change my mindset over some time..

Some things I have clarified in my head. The parts in brackets can be read later, as they are a rephrasing of the statements given. This should enhance our reflection.

1) Anyone can be right. (I can be wrong) (So can you)
This is not very evident. We usually dump information from people we dislike. However, we have to clench our teeth sometimes and accept that even people we utterly despise can say something right.

Yes. Any idiot can be right, and if your pride is in the way you will end up looking feeling ashamed or dumping truth.

2) Being right does not mean that people will agree with you. (I may disagree with people who are right)
This is more obvious than statement (1). Many times we KNOW we are right, but some people just don't want to listen. Often, people need to understand why you are right, or 'get' it.

Understanding takes on certain forms.

Some people need logical steps for understanding. Some people are not concerned with logic and are more concerned with emotional support.

It is possible to feel that you 'get it' without actually thinking it through. That means it is possible for everyone to 'get it', agree with you and you can still be wrong. Numbers don't quite matter here.

My point here is to lay out the differences in the way people 'get it'. Not to claim superiority of either one. Equating logic with emotional support, however, can lead to disastrous consequences.

3) Being shown to be wrong does not mean that people can do it right. (Just cause i point out wrong, it doesn't mean it will change)
This has links to (2). Many times when I carry out a task I can see which parts are done wrongly. However, that doesn't mean someone knows how to do it right.

4) Doing things wrong could have some causes, roots and explanations. (There could be underlying causes for my behaviour)
Sow a habit, reap a ........

You get the idea.

5) Doing things right could also have causes, roots and explanations. (There may be things that right someone's behaviour)

Note that (3), (4) and (5) say that if someone shows me that I did something wrong.. it stops there. unless I actually think about why I behave that way and work out the causes for it.

I think this lends clues for our personal growth.

(1) and (2) are very effective when we listen to sermons or talks. Are we taking in the truth?
(3), (4) and (5) are very effective when we have just learnt a lesson. How will that lesson change us?

I hope this makes sense.. My mathematical proofs in school are quite poor, so hopefully it all works out.

Onward.

No comments: