Wednesday 13 February 2008

Deep Discussion

Okay.. I realise its 1am wednesday morning now, but the discussion I am referring to is the one a couple of friends and I had on monday night, that lasted into the wee hours of tuesday morning..

How do you prove God exists? Put a mathematician and 3 physicists in a room and let them slug it out.

It was a very deep and intriguing conversation.. Flowing back and forth between logic and faith, we had a very good time delving through each other's thoughts and arguments and whether certain statements were valid or not..

Through the entire discussion I realised it wasn't really about who was correct or who had the best belief system.. I realised that to build up a Christian belief system from logic alone will inevitably end in a system that leaves out certain parts of the Bible, because things come in that logic cannot hope to comprehend. Faith, hope, and love.

1Co 13:13 ESV
(13) So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Logic cannot build these things from any system.

I choose to base it on Biblical truth. I choose to look for logical consistencies in the Bible, because I believe that the Bible is inspired by a logical Mind. But, as it is written,

Isa 55:8-9 MKJV
(8) For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor your ways My ways, says Jehovah.
(9) For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.

We cannot rely on logic alone if we want to have a relationship with God. Logic will allow us to deduce certain characteristics that we think God should have, but it does not help us in building a relationship with Him. The crux of the Christian faith is... faith.

Indeed, there is a limit to what our human minds can grasp of who God is. But the study of His Word brings about refreshing truths, and is always rewarding, bringing us closer to the nature of the Most High.

No comments: